The second thing I made for Lydia’s birthday dinner was this Zucchini-Tomato Gratin recipe I got from the Vegetarian Times website.
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 medium zucchini cut into 1/8 inch slices
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons roughly chopped kalamata olives
1/4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
3/4 cup of grated cheese (recipe online says to use parmesan, we used a 4 cheese “Italian mix” from Safeway so we didn’t have to shred it)
1. Spread zucchini on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt to get extra moisture out. Spread tomatoes on a sheet, sprinkle with salt and drain off excess tomato-liquid.
2. Preheat oven to 375 F
3. Saute zucchini in a skillet 3-4 min or till golden brown.
4. Layer half of zucchini slices in an 8-inch baking pan. Top with half of tomatoes. Sprinkle with half of garlic, olives, basil and cheese.
5. Repeat step 4.
6. Sprinkle olive oil and a little black pepper over top. Add remaining cheese.
7. Back 10 min or till cheese is nicely melted and starting to brown a bit.
As you can see I didn’t follow the directions on the website exactly. I forgot to buy tin foil so I just shoved it in the oven. I also didn’t have much time to let the veggies “sweat” so I left them for 15 min and drained the liquid out of the pans I had them in.
Anyway, it turned out AMAZING and I’m definitely making this again. It was waaaaaaay too good for how easy it was to make. Almost criminally too good. Pardon me while my mouth waters.