One of the new things I’m focused on learning this term is how to cook the various kinds of squash. I thought I’d start out with butternut squash since I know that I used to like that as a kid before my squeamish stage set in. Found this recipe in the “La Dolce Vegan Cookbook” and made it for a small group of friends. It was a huge success and I’d recommend this recipe to anyone to try.
Curried Ginger Butternut Squash Soup
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
2 inches fresh ginger, grated
½ teaspoon garam masala
¼ teaspoon curry powder
1 medium potato, chopped
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
2 cups vegetable stock
1. In a medium soup pot on medium heat sauté the onions in oil till translucent.
2. Add the garlic, ginger, garam masala and curry powder.
3. Sauté another 2 minutes, stirring to avoid sticking.
4. Add the potatoes, squash and vegetable stock.
5. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Simmer till vegetables are tender.
6. Remove pot from stove and with a potato masher, mash the mixture till it reaches a consistency you prefer.
7. Return pot to the stove. Reheat and serve.