Guinness Beef Stew
2 lbs. boneless beef sirloin, cut into 1 inch cubes
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
All-purpose flour for dredging
4 tablespoons unsalted Kerrygold Irish butter
¼ cup canola oil
4 medium onions, chopped
2 cups beef stock
2 cups Guinness stout
5 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
4 parsnips, peeled and thickly sliced
1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
Mashed potatoes to serve
1. Season the meat with the salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the oil.
3. Cook the meat on all sides until evenly browned. Remove from the pot.
4. Stir in the onions and cook till soft.
5. Return the meat to the pot and add beef stock and Guinness to cover.
6. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 60 minutes or till the meat is nearly tender.
7. Add the carrots, parsnips and turnip.
8. Cook for another 30 minutes or till the vegetables and meat are tender and the stew is thickened. If it isn’t thick enough mix 2 tablespoons of flour with ½ cup water till smooth and add it to the stew for at least 5 minutes longer.
9. Serve over mashed potatoes.