Got this recipe from the Vegetarian Times website and chose it specifically because I had (almost) all the ingredients I needed already. I only had half a red onion so I subbed in a half of a white one. I also only had about 1/2 a cup of quinoa left so I added the rest in short grained rice. For the unaltered recipe, go here. Below is what I did.
Quinoa & Spinach Soup
1/2 a medium red onion, diced
1/2 a medium white onion, diced
3 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/4 cup short grain rice
3 small tomatoes, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
oregano (to taste)
basil (to taste)
half of a 6oz. pack of spinach leaves
1. Coat medium saucepan with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat.
2. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft.
3. Stir in broth and 4 cups water, and bring to a boil.
4. Add quinoa, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
5. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, oregano, basil and spinach leaves. Simmer 5 minutes, uncovered, or until spinach and quinoa are tender.
6. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve immediately.
This recipe is AMAZING. You WANT to make this. You want to make this RIGHT NOW.