Russian Bean-and-Potato Soup
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced thinly
3 russet potatoes, cubed
1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
5 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons flour
1/3 cup low-fat sour cream
3/4 cup prepared sauerkraut (with juice)
1 tablespoon dried dill
salt and white pepper to taste
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil and saute the onion till limp, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the potatoes and green beans.
3. Cook 3 minutes more, stirring frequently.
4. Add the stock as needed by tablespoonfuls to keep the veggies from burning or sticking.
5. Add the remaining stock.
6. Lower heat. Cover and cook for 1 hour on the stovetop.
7. Combine the flour and sour cream in a bowl.
8. Add to the hot stew by spoonfuls, stirring to blend.
9. Add the sauerkraut and the dill.
10. Cook 15 minutes more on the stove.
11. Season with salt and white pepper.