1 large Russet baking potato, rinsed and unpeeled
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
2 bunches spinach (about 20 oz.), trimmed and rinsed
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
2 large red peppers, cut into strips
paprika, to taste
1 cup spaghetti sauce for garnish
1.Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Spray 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Bring 2 cups water to a boil.
4. Slice potato into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and place around bottom of pie plate in single layer.
5. Spray potato slices lightly with nonstick cooking spray and put them in the oven for 10 minutes (or while you finish prepping the rest of the pieces of the recipe).
6. Meanwhile, cook barley according to package directions, drain and place in large mixing bowl.
7. Cut spinach widthwise into large pieces, and, using water clinging to leaves, steam spinach in covered pot until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Remove from heat, drain and press out excess water.
9. Combine with barley in mixing bowl. Add 2 cups shredded cheese, and toss together.
5. Take potatoes out of the oven and place pepper strips on potato slices.
6. Mound barley mixture on top of pepper strips, sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and a bit of paprika.
7. Bake 7 to 10 minutes more, or until cheese bubbles and browns.