Curried Red Lentil Soup
2 cups red lentils, sorted and rinsed
1 qt. low-sodium vegetable broth
1 large onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
4 celery stalks, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
2 large carrots, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 Tbs. curry powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Bring lentils, vegetable broth, and 4 cups water to a simmer in large pot.
2. Skim away foam that rises to top. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
4. Add cilantro, curry powder, and cumin, and cook 20 minutes more, or until lentils are soft.
5. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and stir in lemon juice.