Pumpkin, Vanilla, and Wild Garlic Soup
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
6 tablespoons unsalted Kerrygold Irish butter
1 clove garlic, minced
2 onions, chopped
2 lbs. pumpkin, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1 inch pieces
2 cups vegetable broth (it was originally chicken broth but I vegetarianized the recipe)
2 cups half-and-half
sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
2. Add the garlic and onions and cook 3-5 minutes or till soft but not browned.
3. Add the pumpkin, vegetable stock and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
4. Cook, covered, 20-25 minutes or till the pumpkin is tender.
5. Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
6. Use a potato masher to mash the chunkiness of the soup to a smoother consistency.
7. Whisk in the half-and-half and season with salt and pepper.
8. Stir in the last teaspoon of vanilla extract and simmer till heated through.
12. To serve, ladle soup into bowls and eat. You could also swirl a tablespoon of crème fraîche into each one.