Cauliflower & Mushroom Gougère
For the crust:
1 1/4 cups water
4 oz. butter
5 oz. flour
4 oz. Cheddar cheese, finely diced
1 teaspoon French mustard
salt & black pepper
For the Filling:
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 oz butter
1 onion, chopped
4 oz. white mushrooms, halved if large
1 small cauliflower, broken into small florets
1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 F and butter a large ovenproof dish.
2. Put the water and butter in a large saucepan and heat till the butter is all melted.
3. Remove from the heat and add the flour all at once.
4. Beat well with a wooden spoon until smooth and allow it to cool slightly.
5. Beat in the eggs, one at a time until the mixture is thick and glossy.
6. Stir in the cheese and mustard. Season with the salt and black pepper.
7. Spread the mixture around the sides of the ovenproof dish, leaving a hollow in the center for the filling.
8. To make the filling, heat the oil and butter and saute the onions for 3-4 minutes until softened but not browned.
9. Add the mushrooms. Cook 2-3 minutes until they begin to brown.
10. Add the cauliflower florets and stir-fry for 1 minute.
11. Add the tomatoes, thyme and seasoning. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 5 minutes.
12. Spoon the mixture into the hollow in the ovenproof dish, adding all the liquid.
13. Bake in the oven 35-40 minutes, or till the outer pastry is well risen and golden brown.