Lentils are delicious!
I found myself at home today for lunch with a limited amount of things in my cupboard. This was due mainly to the fact that I had woke up much later than I anticipated (always remember to set your alarm before getting into bed to read) and hadn’t gone to the store this morning as I had originally planned. However I know that it is very important not to go to the grocery store when you’re hungry as most people who attempt this end up purchasing half the store. I needed to have lunch before I went. So I looked through my cupboards and came up with the following recipe. I was skeptical, but it actually turned out pretty dang amazing, so I was pretty happy with it. Next time I’ll add in celery and maybe a couple red potatoes, however obviously I didn’t have them this time around.
Erin’s Lentil Soup Experiment
4 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
salt & pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons flour
1 small carrot, chopped
3/4 cup lentils
4 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon dried parsley (2 tablespoons fresh)
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and saute till tender. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Add flour and stir to mix.
3. Add in the carrot and cook 3 minutes.
4. Add vegetable broth and lentils. Cook 5-7 minutes.
5. Add Italian seasoning and parsley.
6. Continue cooking on medium heat till the lentils are tender and soup has thickened.