My first leek recipe ever!
Will be trying a few recipes with leeks this month. This is the first one. This recipe comes from the vegetarian cookbook that I so loudly praised in my last entry. I stand by said praise as this was quite lovely. A word to the wise for this…the recipe says SMALL leeks and you really MUST listen to this. Trust me. I got the normal giant-ish ones thinking it wouldn’t make much difference, but it totally does. I had the most awful time getting them to sit in the pot to boil for a bit and ended up having to cut them in half. Another thing to note is that this is a DELICIOUS recipe, but it is not one to heat up later. I microwaved the leftover leek-ness the next day and it was stringy and hard to chew when the night before it had been absolutely beautiful. So if you’re going to make this then invite people over and EAT IT ALL UP! The next time I make this I might cut the leeks into smaller pieces…like rounds of leek…to see if this would make it more eatable the next day. However if you want to avoid any problems I still say…eat it all the night you make it. Your stomach certainly won’t be mad at you since it’s delicious.
Baked Leeks with Cheese and Yogurt Topping
8 small leeks
2 small eggs (or 1 large one), beaten
5 oz. goat cheese
1/3 cup plain yogurt
2 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
1 oz. brown bread crumbs
salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter a shallow ovenproof dish.
2. Trim the leeks, cut a slit from top to bottom and rinse well under cold water.
3. Put the leeks in a saucepan of water, bring to a boil and simmer until just tender.
4. Remove and drain well. Arrange in the prepared dish.
5. Beat the eggs with the goat cheese, yogurt and half the Parmesan cheese. Season well with salt and pepper.
6. Pour the cheese and yogurt mixture over the leeks.
7. Mix the bread crumbs and remaining Parmesan together and sprinkle over the sauce.
8. Bake in the oven 35-40 minutes until the top is crisp and golden brown.