For the pastry:
2 cups flour
8 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon Italian herbs
pinch of salt
For the Filling:
2 large onions, very thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed and diced
3 tablespoons olive oil
nutmeg, to taste
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon thyme
salt and black pepper
2/3 cup pitted black olives, sliced
grated cheese (I used Cheddar)
1. Rub the flour and butter together until it forms fine crumbs, then mix in the herbs and salt. Mix to a firm dough with cold water.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
3. Rough out the dough and use it to line a 9-inch pie pan.
4. Bake it blind, until finished, then remove from the oven.
5. Gently fry the onions and garlic in the oil for about 10 minutes, till soft and mix in the nutmeg.
6. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, thyme and seasoning.
7. Simmer gently, about 10 minutes until mixture is reduced and slightly syrupy.
8. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
9. Mix in the olives.
10. Spoon the mixture into the pastry.
11. Sprinkle with some parsley.
12. Either serve immediately or add grated cheese to the top and pop it back in the oven till the cheese is melted.