Sweetcorn and Lentil Soup
2 tablespoons green lentils
4 cups vegetable bouillon
2 teaspoons ginger powder
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons dry sherry
1 can corn kernels (plus liquid)
1 egg white (I used the whole egg)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
salt and pepper, to taste
chopped green onion
red pepper flakes or diced red chili
1. Place the lentils in a saucepan with the vegetable bouillon, ginger, soy sauce and sugar.
2. Boil rapidly, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
4. Mix the cornstarch and sherry in a small bowl. Add to the pan.
5. Add the corn and its liquid. Simmer for 2 minutes more.
6. Whisk the egg with the sesame oil.
7. Pour the egg mixture into the soup in a thin stream.
8. Remove from the heat and stir. (The egg will form strands).
9. Season the soup with the salt and pepper.
10. Garnish as you see fit. Goes great with toasted wheat bread.