Creamy Cheesy Potato & Broccoli Soup
2 tablespoons butter
2 small onions, chopped
2 tablespoons flour
2 small potatoes, chopped
3 small heads broccoli, cut into smaller pieces
3 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups half and half
2 cups cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add in the onions and saute till tender.
2. Add in the flour and stir to coat the onions.
3. Add in the potatoes and broccoli. Cover and cook 2 minutes.
4. Add in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes.
5. Add nutritional yeast, cumin and nutmeg. Let it simmer till the potatoes and broccoli are tender.
6. Remove the pot from the heat and mash with a potato masher till it reaches the consistency you crave (you could also blend the soup, if you’re that ambitious).
7. Return the saucepan to medium heat.
8. Add half and half, salt and pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes.
9. Add in cheddar cheese. Cook, stirring to help the cheese melt and combine with the creamy soup.
10. Once the cheese is fully incorporated into the soup you may eat. Think about eating this with some garlic bread, or maybe some nice croutons on top.