African Chickpea and Spinach Soup
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
2 cups vegetable broth, divided
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 15oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 14oz. can diced tomatoes
2 oz. spinach, chopped
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft and golden.
2. Add garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until garlic is lightly browned.
3. Blend peanut butter and 1/2 cup broth in food processor to make smooth paste. Blend remaining broth into mixture. (Or use a whisk like I did).
4. Add paprika, coriander and cayenne to onion mixture, and sauté 1 minute, or until fragrant.
5. Stir in peanut butter mixture, chickpeas and tomatoes. Simmer 5 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in spinach just before serving.