Beefy Bacon Vegetable Soup
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 small-medium potatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, diced
2 tablespoons flax seed
3 thick slices of bacon, diced
2 small tomatoes, diced
1 beef bouillon cube
2 cups water
1/2 cup barley
1 1/2 tablespoons parsley
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon cilantro
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the barley and cook until just about tender. This can take some time so you want to start this before you start the soup.
2. Saute the onions and garlic in a small amount of vegetable oil (or leftover bacon grease if you save it for cooking like we do) till tender.
3. Add in the carrots, potatoes and flax seeds. Cook 5-7 minutes.
4. Add in the bacon, turn the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, till a good amount of fat has been “burned” off the bacon.
5. Add the tomatoes and cook 3-5 minutes, letting the heat break the tomatoes down a bit so they release their juices.
6. Add the water and bouillon cube. Bring the soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer till the beef bouillon has broken down and assimilated with the soup.
7. Add in the barley. Add in the parsley, thyme, rosemary, basil, cilantro and chili powder. Simmer 10-15 minutes till barley is tender.
8. Add in the spinach. Turn off the heat. Stir the spinach into the soup until it wilts. Serve immediately.