All the ingredients in the saucepan.
I shall continue with my desire to learn to make things from scratch. This week it’s ginger ale. I found this recipe on the Vegetarian Times website
and couldn’t resist. Not only is it super simple, but it also uses few ingredients, which is easy on the shopping list and the wallet. It smells gorgeous as it cooks. A nice thing to make after dinner to clear any strong smell out of the air. And I couldn’t believe it but it tastes almost 100% exactly like the stuff you buy in stores. Just make sure that you have enough sparkling seltzer water to dilute the ginger mixture or it’ll be a bit too strong.
Homemade Ginger Ale
2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 lb. fresh ginger, cut into 1/4-inch thick “coins”
1 cinnamon stick
pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Bring sugar, ginger, cinnamon stick and 2 cups water to a boil in large saucepan.
2. Simmer 5 minutes, then remove from heat, and stir in cayenne pepper. Let cool.
3. Strain liquid into small pitcher, and discard ginger and cinnamon.
4. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
5. To serve: Ladle 1/4 cup ginger syrup into tumbler filled with ice. Top with 3/4 cup sparkling water, and stir.
Two glasses of homemade ginger ale!