1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 potatoes, peeled and sliced into discs
1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
1/2 a medium onion, thinly sliced
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup half-and-half cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Coat the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan with the vegetable oil. Place the potato disc-slices along the bottom and sides to cover as much as possible. Remember that you can cut the potato slices to make them fit into the pie pan. This is your crust.
2. Bake crust at 425° for 6-7 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. Cook the asparagus spears in a small amount of salted water until tender. Drain and cool.
4. Set aside three spears for garnish; cut the remaining asparagus into 1/2-in. pieces.
5. Combine the asparagus pieces, corn and onions; add flour and toss.
6. Pour into crust; sprinkle with cheese.
7. Whisk together eggs, cream, salt, basil and cayenne; pour over asparagus mixture.
8. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes.
9. Take the quiche out of the oven.
10. Arrange the reserved asparagus spears in a wheel pattern on top of filling.
11. Return the quiche to the oven. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. If it’s not as golden as you want on top then turn the broiler on for a minute or two to finish it off. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.