Auntie Bonnie’s Black Bean Soup
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 cups vegetable stock
2 cups black beans (canned or dry…though the dry ones will have to be cooked prior)
1 1/2 cups yams, peeled and cubed
1 teaspoon black pepper (though I used a bit less)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped (for garnish)
1. In a large soup pot on medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil till translucent.
2. Add the celery, red pepper and jalapeno. Simmer for an additional 3 minutes.
3. Add the veggie stock, beans, yams, pepper, salt, vinegar, chili powder, and cloves.
4. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or till veggies are all cooked.
5. Either blend in a food processor or mash with a potato masher.
6. Cook 3 minutes more and serve.