Warm Mediterranean Lentil Salad
10 cherry tomatoes, about 1 cup
1 1/2 cups brown lentils
grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
1 fresh bay leaf
2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
2 red onions, chopped
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and black pepper, to taste
Parmesan cheese, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 250 F. (Or use a toaster oven like we did and cook it for an extra 10 minutes).
2. Put the cherry tomatoes on the prepared baking tray and cook in the oven for 40 minutes.
3. Put the lentils in a saucepan. Add the lemon zest and juice, bay leaf, garlic, and enough water to cover.
4. Stir, bring to a boil, then simmer for 40 minutes or till lentils are soft.
5. Drain the lentils thoroughly and transfer to a large bowl.
6. Add the cherry tomatoes, red onions, olives, parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper.
7. Toss gently then serve topped with Parmesan (or mozzarella).