Sesame-Glazed Green Beans
1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
1/2 cup water
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into julienne strips
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon chile flakes
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1. Put the green beans and water into a saucepan and bring the water to a boil.
2. Simmer the beans, uncovered, until almost tender and there is just a bit of water left. Then stir in the red pepper strips.
3. Simmer a little longer, until the beans are tender and all the water has evaporated. Take the pan off the heat.
4. Combine the soy sauce, cornstarch, dry mustard, chile flakes and honey in a small bowl.
5. Put the green beans back over medium-high heat and add the soy mixture.
6. Toss until the veggies are well coated, letting the sauce boil and thicken a bit.
7. Take the pan off the heat. Drizzle in the sesame oil and sprinkle on the toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.