Erin’s White and Green Chowder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 can corn kernels
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 a quart of half and half milk
1 cup water
1 cup rice
1 small-medium head broccoli, cut into florets
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon oregano
2 tablespoons parsley
1 cup mozzarella cheese, cut into chunks or grated
1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup water
3 cups baby spinach leaves
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large soup pot. Add in the onions and garlic and saute on low till tender.
2. Add in the corn kernels, salt, and pepper. Saute another minute or two, stirring once.
3. Add in the half and half, water, rice. Stir. Simmer 10 minutes till rice starts to get tender.
4. Add in basil, oregano, parsley and broccoli. Stir in well.
5. Add in mozzarella cheese and cornstarch. Simmer till rice and broccoli are almost cooked. Make sure to stir frequently to keep rice from burning to the bottom of the pan and get the cheese incorporated into the soup.
6. Add in baby spinach leaves and cook 5 minutes more, stirring frequently, till spinach leaves are wilted.
7. Serve piping hot, but don’t burn the skin off your tongue.