Potato, Sage, and Apple Gratin
3 lb. salad potatoes, thinly sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
leaves from 3-4 sprigs sage
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and thickly sliced
1 cup heavy cream
a large pinch of ground nutmeg
salt and black pepper
1. Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and let cool for a few minutes.
2. Put a layer of potatoes in the gratin dish and top with a layer of chopped onions. Add a few sage leaves, salt and pepper. Repeat, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
3. Melt the butter in a skillet, add the apples and turn to coat well.
4. Arrange the apples on top of the potatoes, slightly overlapping each slice.
5. Put the cream and egg in a bowl and beat well. Beat in the nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour over the apples.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 F for about 1 hour or till the potatoes are tender when tested with a skewer or fork. For a golden top, put the gratin under a hot broiler for a couple of minutes.
7. Remove from the oven.