1 cup minced onion
2 tart apples (such as Granny Smith), grated
8 slices toasted sandwich bread
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 cups cooked white or brown rice
6 tablespoons rolled oats, ground in a blender
1/2 teaspoon of salt, or more to taste
black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon canola oil
1. Put the onion into a large bowl.
2. Squeeze the grated apples lightly to remove excess juice then add them to the bowl.
3. Chop the bread very fine and whirl it to crumbs in a food processor.
4. Add the bread crumbs, bell pepper, ginger, cooked rice and half of the ground oats to the apple and onion. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Form patties about 1 1/2 inches thick (should make 4).
6. Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil.
7. Coat the patties with the remaining ground oats.
8. Cook them for 2-3 minutes per side or till they brown slightly.
9. Serve with hot sauce, slaw or ketchup.