Avocado and Lime Ice Cream
4 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 ripe avocadoes
grated rind of 2 limes
juice of 1 lime
2 egg whites
1. Beat the yolks in a heatproof bowl.
2. In a saucepan, heat the cream with the sugar, stirring it well until it dissolves.
3. As the cream rises to the top of the pan at the point of boiling, remove it from the heat.
4. Gently pour the beaten egg yolks into the scalded cream, adding them in small amounts from a height above the saucepan. This prevents the mixture from curdling.
5. Allow the mixture to cool, stirring it occasionally, then chill.
6. Peel and mash the avocadoes until they are smooth, then beat them into the custard with the lime rind and juice.
7. Check for sweetness. Ice cream should be quite sweet BEFORE freezing, as it loses flavor when ice-cold. Add extra sugar now if you think it is needed.
8. Pour the mixture into a shallow container and freeze it until it is slushy. Beat it well once or twice as it freezes to prevent large ice crystals from forming.
9. Whisk the egg whites until softly stiff and fold them into the ice cream.
10. Return the mixture to the freezer and freeze until firm. Use within 4 weeks.