Zucchini and Thyme Fritters
3/4 cup self-rising flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
1 tablespoon oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Strain the self-rising flour into a large bowl and make a well in the center. Add the eggs to the well and, using a wooden spoon, gradually draw in the flour.
2. Slowly add the milk to the mixture, stirring constantly until a thick batter is formed.
3. Meanwhile, wash the zucchini then grate over a sheet of paper towel placed in a bowl to absorb some of the juices.
4. Add the zucchini, thyme, salt and pepper to the batter and mix thoroughly.
5. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet. Taking a tablespoon of batter for a medium-sized fritter or half a tablespoon for a smaller-sized fritter, spoon the mixture into the hot oil and cook the fritters, in batches, for 3-4 minutes on each side.
6. Remove the fritters and drain them thoroughly on absorbent paper towels. Keep the fritters warm in the oven while making the rest. Transfer to serving plates and serve hot.