2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage, crushed and without stems
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup blackberry preserves
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sage, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
4. Add brown sugar. Beat until combined, scraping the side of the bowl periodically.
5. Beat in egg yolks, lemon peel, and vanilla until combined.
6. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining flour mixture.
7. Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls.
8. Place ball 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
9. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each cookie.
10. Fill each center with about 1/4 teaspoon of the preserves.
11. Bake in your preheated oven about 10 minutes or till the bottoms are lightly browned.
12. Cool 1 minute on the cookie sheet before transferring cookies to a wire rack. This should make about 60 cookies.