Spiced Indian Cauliflower Soup
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 small cauliflower, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cumin (or cumin seeds)
2 teaspoons ground mustard
2 teaspoons ground coriander
4 cups vegetable stock
1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
salt and black pepper
cilantro or parsley to garnish
1. Put the potato, cauliflower and onion in a large saucepan with oil and 3 tablespoons water.
2. Heat until hot and bubbling, then cover and turn the heat down. Continue cooking the mixture for about 10 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and spices.
4. Stir well and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Pour in the stock and season well. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
6. Take the soup off the heat and, using a potato masher, mash the vegetables into a thicker soup consistency. Let it cool 7 minutes.
7. Stir in the yogurt, season well and garnish with cilantro or parsley.