Spinach and Cannellini Beans
8 oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 slice wheat bread
1 onion, chopped
3-4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
a good pinch of paprika
1 garlic clove, diced
salt and black pepper
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan and fry the bread until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
2. Fry the onion in the remaining oil over low heat until soft but not brown.
3. Add the tomatoes, continue cooking over low heat.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a large pan. Stir in the paprika and add the spinach.
5. Cover and cook until the spinach is wilted.
6. Add the onion and tomato mixture to the spinach. Mix well and stir in the cannellini beans.
7. Chop the bread into small pieces or crumble into crumbs.
8. Stir bread and garlic into the spinach and bean mixture.
9. Add 2/3 cup cold water. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes adding more water if necessary.