Lentil & Pasta Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups carrot, chopped
1 stick celery, sliced
1 1/2 cups red lentils
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
3 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups pasta shapes
2/3 cup low-fat unsweetened yogurt, plus extra to serve
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, to garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and saute the prepared onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Stir gently for about 5 minutes or till the vegetables are tender.
2. Add the lentils, broth and boiling water. Season well, stir, and bring back to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes until the lentils are completely tender. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring another pan of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Drain well and set aside.
4. Place the soup in a blender and process until smooth. Return to the pan and add the pasta. Bring back to a simmer and heat for 2-3 minutes until piping hot.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the unsweetened yogurt. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
6. Serve, sprinkled with ground black pepper, chopped parsley, and extra yogurt if wished.