Baked Butternut Squash with Chipotle Caramel Sauce
for the squash:
1 butternut squash, halved with seeds removed
2-3 tablespoons unsalted, sweet cream butter, plus more for greasing the cookie sheet
1-2 teaspoons chipotle powder
for the sauce:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons chipotle powder
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F. Grease a cookie sheet with butter.
2. Slather the fleshy side of your squash with butter and sprinkle your desired amount of chipotle powder on top.
3. Place the squash on the cookie sheet flesh side down. Put into the oven for 45 minutes, or till tender.
4. Meanwhile, combine the sugar and water in a saucepan, mixing well. Do this OFF the heat.
5. Turn the heat to low or medium and let the sugar dissolve. Do not stir.
6. Once the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat up to medium or medium high till it caramelizes. This can take between 5 and 10 minutes. Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn. Do not stir.
7. Once the sugar has caramelized, turn off the heat. Add the cream slowly. It will bubble dangerously.
8. Add the chipotle powder. Simmer the caramel over low heat stirring constantly until the caramel dissolves and the sauce turns smooth.
9. Take the caramel sauce off the heat and let it cool and thicken.
10. Either eat the caramel sauce over the butternut squash slices or remove the flesh of the butternut squash and pour the caramel sauce over individual servings.