Creamy Carrot and Parsnip Soup
1/4 cup olive oil
4 parsnips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
5 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large onion, diced
6 cups low sodium veggie broth
3/4 cup packed sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), roughly chopped, divided
2 1/4 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
6 thin slices Italian bread
1. Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat.
2. Add parsnips, carrots and onion. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add 3/4 cup broth. Cook 10 minutes, or till broth is evaporated.
4. Add the remaining 5 1/4 cups broth, 1/2 cup of the sun-dried tomatoes, oregano and basil.
5. Cover and bring to a brisk boil. Remove from heat.
6. Puree soup in a blender until smooth.
7. Chop remaining 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes and stir into soup.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Ladle soup into bowls, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and garnish with toast.