Red Pepper Soup with Balsamic Reduction
for the Balsamic Reduction:
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup agave nectar
for the soup:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red onion, diced
1/2 medium sweet potato (1 cup), peeled and diced
1 medium Yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
1 large shallot, diced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
6 cups vegetable broth
2 large red bell peppers, diced
1. To make the Balsamic Reduction: Bring vinegar and agave nectar to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes or till thickened. Cool.
2. To make the soup: Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
3. Add red onion, sweet potato, Yukon gold potato, shallot and red peppers. Cook 5-7 minutes.
4. Add cumin, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Saute 3-5 minutes.
5. Add broth and bring to a simmer.
6. Cook 30 minutes or till bell peppers and potatoes are softened.
7. Blend soup in batches till smooth.
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Drizzle each serving with Balsamic Reduction.