Key Lime Meltaways
¾ cup unsalted butter (1½ sticks), room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, divided
Grated zest of 2 to 4 key limes
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed key lime juice
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and ⅓ cup sugar until fluffy using an electric mixer.
3. Add lime zest, juice, and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
5. Divide dough into 2 equal parts; roll each piece into a 1¼-inch diameter log and wrap in saran wrap.
6. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour or in the freezer for 30 minutes.
7. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
8. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
9. Place remaining ⅔ cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag.
10. Remove saran wrap from logs; slice dough into ¼-inch thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.
11. Bake cookies for about 11 to 14 minutes, or until barely golden. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly, for just a few minutes. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag; toss gently to coat.