Baked Apples with Maple-Walnut Sauce
4 large Honeycrisp apples, halved crosswise and cored
2 tsp. lemon juice, divided
2 Tbs. light or dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup maple syrup
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Brush cut sides of apples with 1 tsp. lemon juice.
3. Arrange apples, cut sides up, in baking dish.
4. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in small bowl; sprinkle cut sides of apples with sugar mixture.
5. Pour maple syrup in bottom of dish. Cover with foil, and bake 10 minutes.
6. Uncover, and bake 15 minutes more, or until apples are tender. Transfer apples to serving platter.
7. Pour syrup and pan juices into small saucepan, and stir in remaining 1 tsp. lemon juice and salt; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly. Stir in walnuts.
8. Spoon sauce over apples, and serve warm.