Creamy Zucchini Soup
1 bulb garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
black pepper and salt, to taste
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, diced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon peel
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1/2 tablespoon white pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 medium zucchini, grated and left overnight to drain
4 cups half and half
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
1. Remove excess peel from the bulb of garlic. Place the bulb in a small ovenproof bowl.
2. Pour olive oil over the bulb and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
3. Place the ovenproof bowl in the toaster oven. Roast the garlic for 20-25 minutes at 250F.
4. Meanwhile, in a soup pot, melt the butter and saute onion over medium heat till tender but not brown.
5. Once the garlic is roasted take it from the oven and let it cool. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins and back into the bowl they were roasted in. Mash the garlic with the back of a spoon.
6. Add the garlic to the onions and saute 2-3 minutes, till fragrant.
7. Add the lemon juice, lemon peel, rosemary, and white pepper.
8. Add the flour and stir to coat.
9. Add the zucchini and half and half, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 5-7 minutes or till zucchini is tender and soup is thickening.
5. Take the soup off the heat and let it cool for 3-5 minutes.
6. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
7. Serve immediately with crusty garlic bread.