You may also be interested to know that I’ve decided to create a little more constancy with my posting. I’m going to start posting twice every week. I am going to post on Monday, so my fabulous readers can have a good recipe to start the week with and on Thursday so my readers can have a recipe to think about for the weekend. I may also post recipes on other days, but I’m going to commit myself to those two days in particular. I may add in extra days as well, but for the moment I’m only going to commit myself to two exact days a week.
Jamaican Veggie Burgers
4 slices stale or toasted bread
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper, to taste
4-6 bulky hamburger buns
condiments and toppings, as you like
1. Break the bread into pieces and shred into a large bowl as crumbs.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat.
3. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger and saute, stirring occasionally till they soften.
4. Add in allspice and nutmeg and saute 2 more minutes.
5. Put the mixture in the bowl with the bread crumbs.
6. Add the black beans, rice, and chopped chile pepper.
7. Using a potato masher, mash and stir the ingredients till they are well mixed.
8. Once they’re well mixed, add the salt and pepper to taste and give it another quick stir or two to incorporate the spices. If the mixture is too wet, add more bread crumbs.
9. In a large skillet (you can reuse the one you used earlier), heat the remaining oil over medium heat.
10. Form the burger mixture into patties and cook them 4 minutes per side or till nicely browned.
11. Serve the burgers in the hamburger buns with your choice of condiments and toppings.