1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 cup coarsely chopped green cabbage
1/2 cup diced russet potatoes
1 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
4 cups vegetable stock
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium-high heat till soft.
2. Add the bell pepper, cabbage, potato, tomatoes with liquid, chili powder and cumin.
3. Continue cooking and stirring for 3-5 minutes.
4. Add rice, vegetable stock, and beans.
5. Cover and cook over low heat till the stew is thick and beans and rice are tender. About 2 hours.
6. Season with salt and pepper.