Potato and Cauliflower Curry
I altered this recipe from my “1000 Vegetarian Recipes from Around the World” cookbook just slightly. There was no curry powder in it before, and no veggie broth with cornstarch. I just can’t stand a curry without a sauce. To me, that is what makes it so DAMN good. This recipe was a huge hit. Jake said it was the best curry we’ve made yet and possibly one of the best he’s ever had. I think it went over well because the spices were in such good proportions. Nothing was overly present. It was a nice kind of comfort food curry, instead of a crazy spicy one. Also, its main ingredients were potatoes and cauliflower: two veggies that are immediately filling and satisfying. I love gorgeous complex curries. I also love comfortable curries that you can sit down with on a busy day and consume with sighs of contentment and an overdose of basmati rice. This is definitely one of the latter and it is working well. We’ll definitely have this again at our house. Probably the next time cauliflower goes on sale. Another thing I appreciate about this curry is that it doesn’t have any hard-to-find spices in it. I remember I looked for garam masala at two grocery stores before finally finding it. This would be a great curry for a beginner to make, or for someone who’s never tried curry before and wants to give it a shot. The ingredients here are used in a lot of other foods as well, and it’s very likely we all have them in our well-stocked spice racks already. It reminds me of the way I feel about this recipe for Chili Lime Fish Fry
that I tried for the first time a long time ago. I tried it because I had all the ingredients on hand. It’s so helpful to create a stockpile of recipes that mainly use ingredients you know you will always have around the house. Vegetables can be swapped in and out pretty easily in curries, but a good balance of spices you already have just can’t be replaced. Add this one to your recipe files.
Potato and Cauliflower Curry
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
2 onions, sliced
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 clove crushed garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon curry powder
pinch of turmeric
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, chopped
1/2 cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves
2/3 cup veggie broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in veggie broth
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy pan. Add the cumin and red pepper flakes, stirring to mix.
2. Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring, till golden brown.
3. Mix the ginger, garlic, chili powder, salt, curry powder and turmeric together. Add the spice mixture to the onions and saute 2 minutes.
4. Add the potatoes and cauliflower to the pan and stir to coat thoroughly with the spice mixture.
5. Reduce the heat and add the cilantro leaves and veggie broth (with cornstarch dissolved into it) to the pan.
6. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or till the vegetables are cooked through and very tender. Serve immediately.