Pepper and Potato Tortilla
1 medium sized potato, peeled and cut into thick slices
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup frozen hash browns
6 eggs, beaten
4 oz. cheese, grated
chili powder, to taste
salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Boil the potatoes in salted hot water till just tender. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large, nonstick, ovenproof cast-iron skillet, heat the oil and fry the onion, garlic and peppers over medium heat till softened.
3. Add the potatoes and the hash browns and continue frying, stirring occasionally till the potatoes are cooked and the veggies are soft.
4. Pour in the eggs, starting around the edges of the mixture in the pan and working towards the middle. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid till the eggs set.
5. Add the cheese and sprinkle with chili powder. Reposition the cover to melt the cheese.
6. If you are using a real cast-iron skillet or other ovenproof frying pan, you may place the tortilla under the broiler for a minute to finish melting the cheese and browning it on top.