Rum-soaked French Toast
french bread, cut into slices
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 cup rum
1. Beat ingredients together in a pie plate.
2. Coat each side of each slice of bread thoroughly.
3. Fry bread slices in a skillet on medium to medium-high, turning when each side is golden brown.
4. Serve topped with whipped cream and one of the two sauces below, or whatever your heart desires.
Chipotle Caramel Sauce
You may remember that I concocted this recipe for Chipotle Caramel Sauce to top baked butternut squash. That was an okay pairing, but not ideal. Using the Chipotle Caramel Sauce along with whipped cream to top the Rum-soaked french toast is delicious and decadent.
Strawberry Rum Sauce
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups strawberries
1/2 cup rum
pinch of salt
1. Melt butter over low heat.
2. Turn off the heat and add strawberries and rum. Toss to coat.
3. Marinate 15-20 minutes.
4. Turn on the heat to medium-low. Cook strawberries 5 minutes.
5. Add the salt. Stir well to combine.
6. Cook till strawberries have broken down into a sauce.
7. Let the sauce cool before pouring it over your french toast (particularly if you are using whipped cream as a topping too).