Ginger Mango Upside Down Cake
7-8 Champagne mangoes, peeled and sliced into one-inch long thin strips
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1/2 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease a cake pan with butter.
3. Pile mango slices in the bottom of the pan, making sure every inch of the bottom is covered.
4. Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl till fluffy.
5. Add in the sugar and cream about 5 minutes.
6. Add the eggs one by one, beating thoroughly after each.
7. Add flour and almond milk, alternating, beginning and ending with the flour.
8. Add vanilla, ginger, and honey till just mixed.
9. Pour the batter over the mangoes. Smoothing out the top.
10. Bake 40-50 minutes, till toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
11. Cool 10-15 minutes.
12. Carefully run a knife around the edges of the cake pan.
13. Place a plate upside down on top of the cake pan. Carefully flip the two dishes over together. The cake should pop out onto the plate, mango side up. Tap lightly to make sure the cake comes out clean.
14. Sprinkle the crystallized ginger over the top and drizzle with a little bit of extra honey, if desired.
I just couldn’t choose a favorite photo.