When I saw this recipe for toasted chickpeas from NPR and the fun article on vegan food that accompanied it, I got inspired. Since then I’ve been ALL OVER the chickpea recipes, particularly ones that call for toasting snacky ones like this NPR one for Chickpea Poppers does. Of course, I have always known chickpeas were magical creatures, but every once in a while I get a nudge from a great recipe and go nuts searching for more. Chickpeas are so healthy that more people should eat them. I think when I get back to Tucson I’m going to make a triple batch of these and invite some friends over for a movie night.
2 12-oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon garam masala
2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon red chili powder, cayenne or paprika
1. Preheat the toaster oven to 425F (I do this by running it for 3 minutes before I put anything into it).
2. Use a small toaster oven sized baking sheet or the roasting pan that comes with it. You can line it with aluminum foil for easy cleanup if you want.
3. In a large bowl, gently mix together the first four ingredients.
4. Arrange the seasoned chickpeas in a single layer on the baking sheet.
5. Cook for 15 minutes. Carefully take the tray out of the oven, mix gently so that the chickpeas cook evenly, and cook another 10 minutes.
6. Let cool for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the red chili, cayenne or paprika.