This is what I learned this summer: apparently Jim really loves sour cream. I saw this recipe in Karen’s “Fannie Farmer Cookbook” and copied it down onto my computer to remember to try it before I left for Jim. I made this before I left Alaska but forgot to take pictures of it because it was so good that everyone had it eaten and had went back for more before I even remembered! So I made it the other day for my family in Ohio, who also love sour cream and cottage cheese and noodley casserole things. In addition to the onions, I’ve been putting spinach and minced garlic in this. It’d be really great with bacon or ham, if you eat meat.
Sour Cream Noodles
½ pound noodles, ¼ inch or wider, cooked
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 egg, slightly beaten
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
4 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
assorted veggies or meat, as you wish
1 cup breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Butter a 1 ½ quart casserole dish.
3. In a small skillet, melt the butter and add in the onion. Saute till just tender.
4. Combine noodles and butter-veggie mixture with the rest of the ingredients and any of your chosen veggies and meat and toss well.
5. Spoon the mixture into a casserole dish, sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and bake 50-60 minutes, or till bubbling and set.