Brunchtime Sour Cream Cupcakes
2 sticks butter, softened
2 cups plus 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup slivered almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease muffin pans or use muffin cup liners.
2. Beat the butter and 2 cups sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition. Blend in the sour cream and almond extract.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking soda together well. Add this to the butter mixture and mix well.
4. In a small dish, combine the 4 teaspoons sugar, almonds, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix thoroughly.
5. Fill the muffin cups 1/3 full of the batter. Then sprinkle evenly with some of the almond mixture. Cover with batter. Sprinkle with some more of the almond mixture. Continue this for each muffin cup till you run out of batter.
6. Bake 25-30 minutes or till toothpicks come clean when inserted in the center. Remove from the pan and cool on wire racks.