1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup packed light brown sugar
¾ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
⅓ cup apple cider or cranberry-apple juice
3 cups peeled, chopped tart apples, such as Granny Smith
¼ cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted, optional
1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
2. Mix the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a mixing bowl. Using a fork, work in the oil and cider until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
3. Press about 2 cups of the oat mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the cut-up apples.
4. Mix the almonds into the remaining oat mixture and sprinkle evenly over apples. Pat firmly into an even layer.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is golden and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
6. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars.