I made this tasty recipe for Morning Pumpkin Coffee Cake from the Vegetarian Times website right before I left Ohio. I wanted to leave my family with something yummy to eat before I left. This was an easy recipe that resulted in a hearty coffee cake that wasn’t too sweet or too spicy. Perfect if you aren’t sure of the tastes of your guests.
Morning Pumpkin Coffee Cake
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups rolled oats
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 Tbs. ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
½ tsp. salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 ½ cups sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 ¾ cups fresh or canned pumpkin purée
½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
½ cup rolled oats
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
4 Tbs. butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat 10-inch square pan with nonstick spray.
2. Combine flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt in large bowl.
3. Beat butter and sugar in separate bowl until fluffy.
4. Mix eggs and pumpkin into butter mixture.
5. Gradually stir flour mixture into pumpkin mixture.
6. Spread in pan.
7. To make Streusel Topping: Mix all ingredients together until crumbly. Spread on coffee cake.
8. Bake 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean.
9. Cool at least 10 minutes, then slice into squares, and serve.