Here’s another interesting recipe from the “Vegetarian Cuisine” cookbook. I can’t decide if I like it or not. I’ll have to make it again to be sure. I mainly chose it because I’ve always used cucumbers in cold dishes. Besides huang gua chao dan (cucumbers fried with eggs) that I would eat sometimes in China, I’ve never had cooked cucumbers. And even that was a dish I would have in restaurants; I never made it myself. I was surprised at the taste of this. It almost seems like the cucumbers taste similar to cooked green peppers. But I feel rather crazy for saying that. If anyone tries this out I’d like to hear what you think.
Cucumber in a Creamy Dill Sauce
1 tablespoon butter
1 bunch green onions, trimmed and sliced
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into small pieces
finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
salt and white pepper, to taste
8 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1-2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
1. Remove the skin from the cucumbers. Cut in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and toss them. Cut the cucumber into 1/2-inch slices.
2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and cook the green onions, stirring occasionally, till just softened.
3. Add the cucumber and cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
4. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, till softened.
5. Add the lemon rind, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir in the cream, then cook for 1-2 minutes on high heat. Lower the heat and add the wine.
7. Serve hot and sprinkle with chopped dill before serving.