The week of orange recipes continues! You KNOW Jake loves carrots. So I’ve been eyeing this recipe from the “Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook” for quite some time now. I’m not always a huge fan of carrots. In the end, it really depends on the recipe itself whether I like them or not. That said…this was AMAZING. We will definitely be making this on a regular basis. I added the flax seeds in to make it even more healthy. This is a really low-fat recipe, for those of you who are watching that sort of thing. I recommend making whole wheat penne pasta for this, as indicated in the recipe below. The sauce itself is quite sweet so it goes really well with whole wheat pasta. Next time I am thinking about adding in some chili pepper, maybe even chipotle chili pepper. A little bit of spiciness will be just the thing to pick up the sweet flavor and switch up this great sauce.
Pasta with Roasted Carrot Sauce
6 carrots, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons flax seeds
1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound whole wheat penne pasta
1 cup vegetable broth
Italian parsley, coarsely chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Combine the carrots, onions, flax seeds, olive oil and garlic on a baking sheet or in a baking pan, stirring to mix.
3. Bake till golden and tender, stirring twice, about 45 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to the package directions and drain.
5. Puree the roasted vegetables with the vegetable broth in a blender.
6. Toss the sauce with the hot pasta and serve immediately. Top with chopped parsley, if desired.