This recipe for Broccoli Casserole came from the “Vegetarian Times Cookbook” by Lucy Moll (link to buy it on the Cookbooks page). I’ve been wanting to make this recipe for a very long time, but I always seemed to forget it when I had broccoli in the house. Probably because there are a million wonderful things to do with broccoli…so I don’t have the time to think about ALL of them. Well, now that I’ve made this I feel pretty dang stupid for not making it sooner. It was awesome. Lovely and filling but without feeling heavy. The recipe you see below is altered a bit from the one in the cookbook. I wanted to make a large batch so I would have plenty to bring into the Poetry Center the next day to share with my friend Sarah who just moved into her first new house as a HOMEOWNER and is unpacking her kitchen (Hooray for Sarah!). That is one of the hard parts about moving. What in the world do you unpack first?! This is particularly difficult if you’re also on a time crunch. Apparently she hadn’t been eating quite as luxuriously as she’s used to (her husband is evidently an amazing cook…I believe she said they had 2-3 different KINDS of turkeys at their Friend Thanksgiving…that’s an impressive amount of culinary commitment). Anyway when your friends need help sometimes you’ve got to make a large casserole. This made enough to stuff Jake and I the night before and enough to eat for lunch the next day…with some for Sarah too. You might also note that this is awesome AND VEGAN. Don’t be scared. It’s okay to love vegan food.
2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cleaned well and diced
1 medium carrot, diced
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound broccoli, chopped
1 1/2 cups sliced white button mushrooms
1/2 cup water
8 oz. firm tofu, crumbled
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon lemon juice
a pinch of garlic powder
1 cup brown rice
3/4 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil.
3. Add in the potatoes, carrot, onion and salt.
4. Cover and simmer till the potato and carrots are tender.
5. Pour the simmered potato mixture into a 7×13 inch baking dish coated with vegetable oil. Add in the tofu, yeast, lemon juice, and garlic.
6. In the same saucepan, boil 1 cup water and add the brown rice, let it cook till just about tender, adding the broccoli and vegetable broth into the saucepan about halfway through cooking and the mushrooms 2-3 minutes till done.
7. Meanwhile using a potato masher, mash the mixture in the baking dish.
8. When the rice mixture is finished cooking, add the entire mixture to the baking dish.
9. Stir the two mixtures together thoroughly, smoothing out the top and sprinkling with black pepper.
10. Bake the casserole about 40 minutes or till golden and bubbling.